Dr. Michelle Iona
Dr. Michelle Iona, DACM, L.Ac. is the owner and founder of Healing Points Acupuncture & Wellness Center in Riverhead, New York. Her interest in Chinese medicine began with her healing journey over 30 years ago when she was first introduced to acupuncture. She received her combined Bachelor of Professional Studies and Master of Science degree in Health Sciences and Oriental Medicine. Upon graduation and licensure, she went on to receive her Diplomate of Oriental Medicine from the NCCAOM and ultimately her Doctorate from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in San Diego, California.
Dr. Iona is a Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine, a licensed and board-certified acupuncturist, and clinical herbalist, and has her Diplomate of Oriental Medicine through the NCCAOM. She is a certified NADA (National Acupuncture Detox Association) detox specialist and certified in Facial Rejuvenation and Cosmetic Acupuncture, as well. She is licensed in New York, Florida, and North Carolina. Her desire to deepen her knowledge of nutrition and its impact on health led her to study nutrition and functional medicine at the University of Western States as well as with The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) where she is an IFM-Certified Practitioner candidate.
Michelle became passionate about acupuncture after suffering for many years with misdiagnosed endometriosis. As an avid runner, healthy eater, and outdoor enthusiast she felt like she was doing everything right but still felt so awful. A life-changing meeting with an accomplished acupuncturist finally brought her the pain relief that she could not attain through Western medicine and surgery. By diving deep into nutrition, lifestyle, sleep patterns, relationships, and more, she and her acupuncturist were able to discover the root cause of her symptoms. Through her first-hand experience, she learned how sound nutrition and lifestyle habits could reverse disease and promote true healing. Now, she is honored to offer the same to others.
Michelle has been in clinical practice since 2001. Her passion is being a detective of sorts, uncovering why people are chronically ill and using diet, supplements, and lifestyle adjustments to shift them back towards health, vitality, and joy.
An empathetic, intuitive, and natural healer, Michelle strives to inspire each of her patients towards a healthy, vibrant life. She believes that our bodies have an innate ability to heal if properly supported. She specializes in the treatment of difficult, chronic diseases, pain management, and women’s health and fertility. Using the various modalities encompassed in Chinese medicine, nutrition, and functional medicine, Michelle will help you uncover the root cause of your imbalance.
Helping others comes naturally to Michelle. She has spent time as an acupuncture volunteer for 9/11 rescue workers, has been a volunteer for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund, and has served as a volunteer, committee member, and resident acupuncturist for the North Fork Breast Health Coalition.
She is a Long Island native. In her downtime, she enjoys running, taking long walks with friends, reading, yoga, and time with her husband and fur babies.
Ready to meet Michelle so she can help you find your best self?
Ready to meet Michelle so she can help you find your best self?
MICHELLE’S CV HIGHLIGHTS
Michelle is deeply committed to ongoing study and growth. Here are some of the highlights of her post-graduate training and education:
- In 2000, she had the pleasure of studying under Dr. Michael Smith and Carlos Alvarez at the Lincoln Recovery Center. She is a Certified NADA Detox Specialist.
- In 2016, Michelle began her Functional Medicine journey and enrolled in the University of Western States where she studied Nutrition and Functional Medicine.
- In 2017, she continued her studies in Functional Medicine at the Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM). After completing all seven modules (Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice (AFMCP) and several Advanced Practice Modules including Gastrointestinal, Environmental Health/Detox, Immune, Hormone, Cardiometabolic and Bioenergetics/Energy, Michelle is currently a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner Candidate. She has completed several supplementary areas of study including thyroid and autoimmune, women’s health and infertility, gut health, prenatal care, and maternal health, cardiometabolic, and blood chemistry and has studied under industry experts including Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Terry Wahls, Dr. Datis Kharrazian, Dr. Bryan Walsh and Kara Fitzgerald, ND.
- In 2018, she attended several courses including Fundamentals of Oncology Acupuncture and Advances in Oncology Acupuncture: Clinical Research & Side Effect Management at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Her ongoing desire to help others lead a pain-free life led her to study the nuances of pain management with well-known acupuncture professionals. This enabled her to utilize cutting-edge and natural pain-relieving modalities including the use of motor points, trigger points, neurofunctional acupuncture, and various bodywork techniques including cupping, gua sha, and tui na.
- Early on in her career, Michelle knew that women’s health would be a pillar for her practice due to her own healing journey. She completed a fertility internship with Dr. Randine Lewis, author, and founder of The Fertile Soul. She then went on to study The Arvigo Techniques of Mayan Abdominal Massage Therapy, an ancient Mayan healing technique that helps to eliminate the causes of reproductive and digestive complaints in both men and women.
- Cosmetic acupuncture and facial rejuvenation are also a passion of Michelle’s. She loves being able to reduce signs of aging while simultaneously revitalizing the whole body. As such, Michelle has studied alongside some of the best facial rejuvenation and cosmetic acupuncturists in the industry including Shelly Goldstein, Ping Zhang, and Mary Elizabeth Wakefield.
- Michelle has been honored to be nominated and named DAN’S BE BEST OF THE BEST for the last five years running in the categories of Acupuncture and Nutrition.
“I am so grateful for Michelle’s knowledge and professionalism. Michelle reads my lab reports, provides proper supplementation, dietary guidelines and is an excellent acupuncturist. I trust her guidance and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Michelle to anyone I know in need of a healthy and holistic approach. I give Michelle a 10+ !”Donna N.
“Michelle is absolutely wonderful. Not only is she incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to improving overall health through acupuncture and nutrition-focused tips, but she’s also a warm, welcoming, kind-hearted soul who makes you feel comfortable the minute you walk into her beautiful, clean office space. I started seeing her during my second pregnancy when everything was hurting and she helped me feel so much more comfortable during those last few months. Now I see her regularly to help with *all* the things motherhood hands us (stress, lack of sleep, low back pain from carrying a baby, etc. etc.) and without a doubt, I feel 100 times better after every treatment. With Michelle, it’s not just a walk in and walk out type of appointment—it’s an hour where I learn something new to improve my health, feel totally relaxed, and can walk away feeling energized and stress-free. Another bonus: she and her team make it so easy to schedule appointments (a small win that is hard to come by these days!). Can’t recommend her enough!”Jamie W.
“I originally came to Michelle with stomach issues and anxiety. My job as a private yoga instructor requires that I physically and mentally be on my game. Not only did Michelle help me reset my gut it feels like we literally reset my nervous system! She is a vital part of my wellness routine and I know I perform better in my life and work when I am going regularly. I highly recommend her for both acute issues and ongoing support.”Mary S.